, Singapore
Photo by Kirill Petropavlov from Unsplash

Singapore’s life insurance premium down 17% in the first half of 2023

Single-premium policy’s performance dragged the overall sector’s result.

Singapore’s life insurance weighted new business premiums fell 16.7% year-on-year (YoY) to S$2.2b, according to the Life Insurance Association (LIA) of Singapore.

This was mainly dragged by the decrease in single-premium policies of 52% for weighted premiums. The policy accumulated S$691m for the semester.

This contraction was influenced by Singapore’s “uncertain economic growth in the first half of the year as economists further scale back on their growth forecast,” said LIA.

“Demand for single premium policies continue to see a decline amid a volatile macroeconomic environment and rising interest rates in an increasingly competitive marketplace,” LIA said in a statement.

On the other hand, annual premiums climbed 26.3% YoY to S$1.2m.

As of 30 June, around 72,000 Singaporeans and Permanent Residents have enrolled in new Integrated Shield Plans (IPs). 

ALSO READ: Singaporeans 'lukewarm' to insurance intermediaries: study

In total, 2.9 million lives, which is approximately 71% of Singapore residents, are covered by IPs in addition to MediShield Life.

The total new business premiums for individual health insurance in the first half of 2023 reached S$206m, marking a 32.1% increase compared to the same period last year. 

IPs and IP rider premiums constituted 83.9% (S$172.8m), while the remaining 16.1% (S$33.2m) comprised other medical plans and riders.

From 1 January to 30 June, the life insurance industry disbursed S$6.0b to policyholders and beneficiaries, showing a 1% rise from the same period in the previous year. 

Among this sum, S$5.16b  was attributed to maturing policies, while the remaining S$838.6m was allocated to death, critical illness, or disability claims for over 9,900 policies.


Follow the link for more news on

Join Singapore Business Review community
Since you're here...

...there are many ways you can work with us to advertise your company and connect to your customers. Our team can help you dight and create an advertising campaign, in print and digital, on this website and in print magazine.

We can also organize a real life or digital event for you and find thought leader speakers as well as industry leaders, who could be your potential partners, to join the event. We also run some awards programmes which give you an opportunity to be recognized for your achievements during the year and you can join this as a participant or a sponsor.

Let us help you drive your business forward with a good partnership!


Italy brings its strong suits to Singapore’s fintech expo
Italian trade executive says 9 firms at the Singapore Fintech Festival 2023 exemplify the diverse range of products and expertise Italy can bring to the table.
Trust Bank sets the bar for digital banking in Asia Pacific
The digital bank targets to be Singapore's fourth largest retail bank, CEO Dwaipayan Sadhu said.
How brands can avoid inauthentic nostalgia marketing
A GlobalData expert flag inauthenticity in using throwback marketing and cite brand campaigns that are winning hearts.