,Singapore

New business premiums in life insurance up 1% to $937.2m in Q1

The uptake in annual premium buys offset the decrease in single premium product purchases.

The life insurance industry’s new business premiums grew 1% YoY to $937.2m in Q1, data from the Life Insurance Association, Singapore (LIA Singapore) revealed.

The sustained uptake of annual premium products cushioned the decreasing uptake of single premium products as single premium policies fell 20% to $224.7m, and annual premium policies jumped 11% to $712.5m in Q1.

The agency also noted that the uptake of Central Provident Fund Investment Scheme (CPFIS)-included products reduced in Q1 amidst the phased reduction of sales charge and wrap fees. Meanwhile, retirement policies purchased skyrocketed 84% to 12,213 policies from 6,631 policies bought as at end-March 2018. Making up about 12% of total weighted premiums for Q1, retirement policies totalled $109m.

More Singaporeans have been covered with integrated shield plans (IPs), LIA said. As of end March, Sinaporeans and permanent residents (PRs) covered by IPs grew 68% to 2.74 million.

LIA further noted that total new business premiums for individual health insurance hit $97.3m in Q1, where IPs and IP rider premiums accounted for 86% or $83.8m whilst the remaining 14% or $13.5m comprised other medical plans and riders.

Get Singapore Business Review in your inbox
Since you're here...

...there are many ways you can work with us to advertise your company and connect to your customers. Our team can help you dight and create an advertising campaign, in print and digital, on this website and in print magazine.

We can also organize a real life or digital event for you and find thought leader speakers as well as industry leaders, who could be your potential partners, to join the event. We also run some awards programmes which give you an opportunity to be recognized for your achievements during the year and you can join this as a participant or a sponsor.

Let us help you drive your business forward with a good partnership!

This is supported by Lao PDR, Thailand, and Malaysia.
Re-exports, meanwhile, saw a jump by 19% in the same month.
SNACK Investment will be available for consumers for as low as $1.
The programme is done in partnership with 10x1000 Tech
The maturity date for these notes will be in 2028.
Assets in this category experienced a jump to $10b in less than three years.
CityDev, SATS, and Mapletree Logistics Trust showed the most growth.
Limiting the entry of foreign workers would not result in more jobs for Singapore, Wong said.
They also agree to explore other collaboration opportunities.
It creates a one-stop ecosystem that connects its users to EV car dealers.
Its passenger capacity remained steady at 32% of pre-COVID levels.
This would increase the opportunities for cross-border investments.
A return to pre-pandemic levels, however, could take two to three years.
HongKongLand and SGX showed the most growth today.