,Singapore

CapitaLand and Ascendas Reit to jointly redevelop 1 Science Park Drive

The redevelopment will cost $883m.

CapitaLand Development (CLD) and Ascendas Reit have formed a joint venture to invest $883m in redeveloping 1 Science Park Drive into a life science and innovation campus.

It follows the sale of 1 Science Park Drive by Ascendas Reit to the joint venture for $103m. CLD owns a 66% interest in the joint venture, while Ascendas Reit owns the remaining 34%.

Expected to be fully completed by 2025, 1 Science Park Drive caters to demand from tenants in new economy sectors such as biomedical sciences, digital and technology, which are continuing to expand in Singapore amidst a greater focus on healthcare, deep tech and accelerating digital transformation. About 80,000sqm or 71% of the 112,500sqm of business park space has been designed to accommodate biomedical research and development (R&D) activities.

CLD CEO Jason Leow said, "As the master developer, owner and operator of SSP 1, we have been steadily unlocking the precinct's potential through redevelopment and land intensification initiatives and will continue to do so in the next few years. The redevelopment of 1 Science Park Drive is the latest milestone in this strategy, aimed at providing modern workspace solutions in a campus-style environment that will reinforce SSP 1's position as one of the most prestigious R&D hubs in the region."

"On a stabilised basis, the investment is expected to generate a net property income yield of approximately 6.3%, re-creating value for Ascendas Reit's Unitholders. We will also have the first right to acquire the remaining 66% interest when the redeveloped property achieves stabilised occupancy," added Ascendas Reit CEO William Tay.

Since its development in the 1980s, SSP 1 has become the leading hub for R&D in Southeast Asia. Today, it is home to over 350 laboratories, multinational corporations, and leading global digital and technology companies. SSP 1 is about a 15-minute drive from Singapore's Central Business District. Its proximity to the National University of Singapore and National University Hospital has made it an ideal location for R&D, innovation and test-bedding.

Join Singapore Business Review community
Since you're here...

...there are many ways you can work with us to advertise your company and connect to your customers. Our team can help you dight and create an advertising campaign, in print and digital, on this website and in print magazine.

We can also organize a real life or digital event for you and find thought leader speakers as well as industry leaders, who could be your potential partners, to join the event. We also run some awards programmes which give you an opportunity to be recognized for your achievements during the year and you can join this as a participant or a sponsor.

Let us help you drive your business forward with a good partnership!

Banks should have enough buffers and find climate transition risks manageable.
The initiative is expected to improve the operating environment for SG businesses.
This includes the upgrade to the latest data acquisition and control system.
A potential incentive fee of up to $18m may be applied. 
This is part of the group’s efforts to spearhead maritime decarbonisation.
This is higher compared to September's retail sales YoY increase at 6.8%.
Restaurants experienced the most YoY decline at 24%. 
Over 40 companies were recognised in the 7th edition of the awards programme.
VTL scheme to proceed “without change” amidst detection of Omicron variant in Korea.
SATS, Sembcorp Industries, and the SGX led the index.
Birth rates in the country have declined since the pandemic began.
It represents a premium to the property’s book value of approximately $20.6m.
The move will be part of the redevelopment of the Central Mall properties.
It also waived its right to walk away from potential material adverse effects.