Unsold residential units doubled to over 34,000 in 2018 | Singapore Business Review
, Singapore

Unsold residential units doubled to over 34,000 in 2018

This was driven by the softening en bloc sales.

The number of unsold residential units nearly doubled to 34,467 in 2018 as Singapore's home supply pipeline builds up from the number of en-bloc sales approved by the Strata Titles Board, according to List Sotheby’s International Realty (List SIR).

Nearly half (44%) of the unsold units last year were not launched due to the lack of pre requisites for sale whilst the remaining 56% were either launched or not launched.

The Urban Redevelopment Authority (URA) reported that there were 51,498 units with planning approvals in 2018.

Despite the availability of supply, home sales volume fell by 11% to 22,139 homes from 25,010 homes sold in 2017. Resale transactions showed a 7% dip to 13,009 whilst sub-sale segment ended 2018 with 335 transactions , down from 401 sub-sales in 2017.

This is driven by increased competition as a number of projects were completed in 2018. However in 4Q2018, total completions were 44% (9,112 units) lower than the 16,449 units completed in 2017. Vacancy rate stood at 6.4% by the end of the year.

“With six months of understanding how the new measures work, the residential market is ready to start a new cycle,” Han said. “The higher acquisition and construction costs helped to curb developers’ hunger for development sites. As the en bloc wave has died down, it will enable the current potential supply to be spread out over the next few years and allow time for the market to absorb the units.

Home prices growth is projected to be in between -2% and +2% in 2019. Demand for new homes could remain around 9,000 - 10,000 units.

Since you're here...

...there are many ways you can work with us to advertise your company and connect to your customers. Our team can help you dight and create an advertising campaign, in print and digital, on this website and in print magazine.

We can also organize a real life or digital event for you and find thought leader speakers as well as industry leaders, who could be your potential partners, to join the event. We also run some awards programmes which give you an opportunity to be recognized for your achievements during the year and you can join this as a participant or a sponsor.

Let us help you drive your business forward with a good partnership!

Get Singapore Business Review in your inbox
There were about 2,600 newly launched units in January 2021. 
The company again deferred the listing due to uncertain market conditions.
Initial estimates showed its operational profit grew 15.5% in the first quarter.
This will allow more businesses to have an alternative avenue to fund meritorious claims.
The government agency is assessing whether the joint venture infringes on competition laws.
HongkongLand saw the sharpest decline during Monday's trading, with a 2.98% drop.
Clients can buy and sell securities in 10 markets worth up to US$10m daily.
The new partner VCs are bringing in $30m of potential funding in the programme.
He will lead the bank’s use of technology, data, and design to develop financial solutions.
Group activities for five persons will now be allowed.
Pubs, bars and nightclubs may only resume F&B operations.
The properties are located in France and Vietnam.
This reflects a 318% decrease from its $438m profit in 2021/20.
City Developments Ltd saw the sharpest decline during Friday's trading, with a 1.61% drop.