, Singapore
201 views

Employment appeals fall significantly to 1.73 per 1,000 employees in 2021: MOM

Most of the complaints filed were salary and dismissal claims. 

The year 2021 seemed to be better for workers in Singapore as employment claims and appeals lodged with the Ministry of Manpower and the Tripartite Alliance for Dispute Management (TADM) fell significantly to 1.73 per 1,000 employees from 2.59 in 2020.

Of the total 5,882 employment claims and appeals received by the MOM and TADM, 64% of which or 3,784 were from local employees, whilst the remaining 36% or 2,098 were from foreigners.

Both figures from local and foreign employees represent a decrease from previous the year, according to the ministry.

The MOM said most of the claims and appeals consist of salary claims (4,848) and dismissal claims (922).

Overall, salary claims fell to 1.43 per 1,000 employees in 2021 from 2.15 in 2020. MOM attributed the decrease  to the drop in salary claims lodged by local employees in the Services sector such as Accommodation & Food Service Activities and Wholesale & Retail Trade.

The incidence of salary claims also declined for foreign employees at 2.10 per 1,000 foreign employees from 3.47 in 2020 on the back of lesser appeals received from the Construction sector.

Of the claims lodged at TADM, 84% were resolved, whilst the e remaining 16% were referred to the Employment Claims Tribunals (ECT) for adjudication. About 92% or nine in 10 claims were resolved by the TADM within two months. 

Most (95%) of Employees whose claims were resolved fully recovered their salaries at TADM and ECT, whilst others (3%) received theirs partially through settlement payments. 
 

Follow the link for more news on

Join Singapore Business Review community
Since you're here...

...there are many ways you can work with us to advertise your company and connect to your customers. Our team can help you dight and create an advertising campaign, in print and digital, on this website and in print magazine.

We can also organize a real life or digital event for you and find thought leader speakers as well as industry leaders, who could be your potential partners, to join the event. We also run some awards programmes which give you an opportunity to be recognized for your achievements during the year and you can join this as a participant or a sponsor.

Let us help you drive your business forward with a good partnership!

Exclusives

Is HDB resale a good investment?
OrangeTee’s Dallas Hassan and Huttons Asia Real Estate Groups’ Lee Sze Teck answer frequently-asked questions on HDB.
Spoof proof: How the new SMS Sender ID Registry prevents phishing
Phishing remains a huge problem in Singapore, with reported incidents jumping from 16 to 5,020 within four years.