, Singapore

Chart of the day: Wrongful dismissal claims dips in 2021

26% of wrongful dismissal cases assessed were substantiated.

This chart from the Employment Standards Report 2021 revealed that wrongful dismissal claims dropped to 0.27 claims per 1,000 employees in 2021 compared to  0.39 claims per 1,000 employees in 2020.

The chart showed that wrongful dismissal claims were higher for local employees (0.34 claims per 1,000 local employees), as compared to foreign employees (0.10 claims per 1,000 foreign employees).

Of the wrongful claims assessed by the Tripartite Alliance for Dispute Management (TADM) about a quarter or 26% of claims lodged in 2021 were substantiated.

READ MORE: How the 2-year remote setup subdued Singapore workers’ productivity

TADM would require the employer to address the claim such as by compensating the employee, clearing up any miscommunications and/or facilitating the employee’s job search. 62% of these claims were resolved at TADM, with the remaining 38% referred to ECT for adjudication. 

The remaining 74% of unsubstantiated claims, often involved disputes over work performance or had arisen due to miscommunication between the employer and employee. The employers had fulfilled their contractual or statutory obligations of employment termination with notice. 62% of these claims were resolved at TADM, with the remaining 38% referred to ECT  for adjudication.

READ MORE: Under a microscope: Foreigners and firms face tougher scrutiny under new EP application policy

“The proportion of wrongful dismissal claims concluded at TADM within 2 months improved significantly from 70% in 2020 to 84% in 2021, which is similar to the pre-COVID levels. This improvement could be partly attributed to the easing of COVID-19 restrictions which allowed parties to meet and resolve their differences in person with the mediators’ assistance. In 2020, some of the disputes were protracted as parties were unable to resolve their disputes remotely, and/or were unable to access important documents in their offices,” the report said.

Follow the link for more news on

Join Singapore Business Review community
Since you're here...

...there are many ways you can work with us to advertise your company and connect to your customers. Our team can help you dight and create an advertising campaign, in print and digital, on this website and in print magazine.

We can also organize a real life or digital event for you and find thought leader speakers as well as industry leaders, who could be your potential partners, to join the event. We also run some awards programmes which give you an opportunity to be recognized for your achievements during the year and you can join this as a participant or a sponsor.

Let us help you drive your business forward with a good partnership!

Exclusives

Is HDB resale a good investment?
OrangeTee’s Dallas Hassan and Huttons Asia Real Estate Groups’ Lee Sze Teck answer frequently-asked questions on HDB.
Spoof proof: How the new SMS Sender ID Registry prevents phishing
Phishing remains a huge problem in Singapore, with reported incidents jumping from 16 to 5,020 within four years.