Here’s how ditched iphones could bring new life to Singapore seniors.
Singapore, is one of the fastest-growing aging populations in the world, and also one of the most digitally connected. But many senior citizens don't have access to technology, and as a result, are increasingly isolated.
In their search for ways to enrich and improve the everyday lives of seniors in Singapore through smartphone technology, SingTel with Ogilvy & Mather Singapore joined hand in hand to connect seniors back to the community through Project Silverline.
Project SilverLine, is an initiative of SingTel wherein used smartphones were collected, refurbished and set up with senior-friendly apps already downloaded - daily medication reminders, picture speed dial to reach family members, daily inspirational quotes, ambulance and emergency contacts, etc. - for the benefits of seniors in Singapore.
For every iPhone donated, SingTel will sponsor the talktime and data plan for the senior beneficiaries for a period of one year.
According to a spokesperspon, 27 iphones were already distributed as gifts to seniors while 152 pledges have already been made.
Through this initiative, SingTel hopes to:
1. Strengthen pride with our seniors by giving them an opportunity to own a smartphone and learn new skills with access to technology.
2. Maintain independence by empowering our seniors with technology. Equipped with emergency services, health and task reminders, Project Silverline gives our seniors and their caregivers a greater sense of security.
3. Reduce isolation by opening new channels and ways of communications with their friends and family. Our seniors can better connect using text messages and customized contact lists.
4. Bring joy to our seniors with technology that puts new activities and learning opportunities at their fingertips. Keeping their minds, and their lifestyles, active.
The Project Silverine conveys that in this fast-paced technology-driven era, our seniors are often left out because they are unable to keep up and communicate with family members through the same channels. To reduce isolation and open their world to new experience, SingTel leverages on its strength in technology to empower our seniors with access to new media, enabling them to lead independent, joyful and inclusive lives
After the phones are given, the seniors were then shown how to use the phones to reconnect with people and the community. According to a spokeperson from Ogilvy & Mather, the project struck a chord with not only seniors, but also the wider community, generating extensive media coverage in Singapore and pushing positive social sentiment to an all-time high on SingTel’s Facebook page. Most importantly, more than 1,000 seniors were re-connected with their local communities.
The Project Silverline assured that all donated 3GS, 4 and 4S iPhones and chargers will enjoy a new lease of life in the hands of our seniors from two voluntary welfare organizations: Lions Befrienders and Willing Hearts. To ensure the beneficiaries understand and learn how to use the iPhones effectively, our seniors will be guided through the phone and Silverline apps functions. Donated iPhones will have their personal data wiped clean and be refurbished with this suite apps before they are given to our seniors.
The Project Silverline Apps
Five Silverline apps were uniquely developed to enhance the social, emotional and physical needs of Singapore’s rapidly growing elderly population. These apps will enable the beneficiaries to feel inspired, connect with their caregivers and loved ones, take care of their health and discover new experiences every day.
1. Inspire App - inspiring quote and photo daily
2. Connect App - communication with caregivers, friends and family made easier with larger images and font sizes
3. Well-Being App - this app helps seniors to stay in the pink of health - reminding them to take their daily medication, health tips and exercise videos.
4. Discover App - seniors can now capture and share their experiences and location with their family and friends.
5. Emergency App - seniors can now dial for the police or ambulance in a quicker and easier way.
How to donate your used iPhone?
Requirements for iPhone donation:
1. At present, they only accept iPhone 3GS, 4 and 4S.
2. All donated iPhones need to be accompanied by the original charger.
3. If you are unable to be present at the SingTel Retail Shop, you will need to prepare an authorization letter for your friend or family member to donate on your behalf.
Project title: Silverline
Creative Agency: Ogilvy & Mather Singapore
Chief Creative Officer: Steve Back
Executive Creative Director: Melvyn Lim
Creative Director: Fredrik Englund
Head of Art: Yeo Yen Yen
Art Director: Eva Xu
Digital Designer: Macson Tan
Copywriter: Khairil Misnal
Senior Web Developer: Mihaela Iancu
Account Management: Jacinta Francis, Cheryl Lim, Andrea Conyard
Project Team Lead: Estrella Chua
Project Manager: Youren Chen
Production Company: Bukkke Bukkke
Partner: Newton Circus Newton Circus
Call for powerful social ads:
Do you have interesting social ads which caught the emotions of many Singaporeans? Send details of your projects to Lee Anne Babierra at email@example.com
Do you know more about this story? Contact us anonymously through this link.